If you feel embarrassed about discolored, damaged, crooked or gapped teeth, porcelain veneers from 5 Star Dental Group could be a great solution to help you get the gorgeous smile and confident self-image you deserve. Experienced cosmetic dentist Dr. Craig Carlson has the knowledge, experience and skills necessary to enhance your smile quickly and painlessly.
To learn more about porcelain veneers, please contact us today by completing the form on this page or calling 210-494-3511 to schedule a free consultation with Dr. Carlson. We proudly welcome patients from throughout San Antonio.
On this page, we will discuss important porcelain veneers topics, such as:
- What are porcelain veneers?
- How can porcelain veneers improve the appearance of your teeth?
- Advantages of porcelain veneers
- The porcelain veneer procedure
- Why are dental veneers called instant orthodontics?
- How long do veneers last?
- Am I a good candidate for dental veneers?
- Why choose Dr. Carlson?
- How much do veneers cost?
- Schedule your free porcelain veneers consultation today
Porcelain veneers are thin shells of porcelain that are attached to your natural teeth to cosmetically enhance your smile. Veneers can disguise a gap, lengthen short teeth and conceal a crooked smile.
For the procedure, Dr. Carlson first prepares the tooth’s surface then bonds the porcelain cap to the front of your tooth. The entire veneers process only takes a few weeks to complete, making it a great alternative to braces. It's a versatile, long-lasting way to get a white, even smile that's customized just for you.
Over the course of his distinguished career as a leading cosmetic dentist, Dr. Carlson has helped thousands of patients achieve bright, straight and natural-looking smiles with porcelain veneers. Many people who consider the procedure experience one or more of the following common dental issues:
- Minor misalignment
- Gaps between teeth
Porcelain veneers are an incredibly popular dental solution to an array of aesthetic imperfections and are often play a significant role in complete smile makeovers.
If you are unhappy with some aspect of your smile’s appearance, there are a number of cosmetic dentistry options available to you. Dental veneers are such a popular treatment option for a number of common dental issues because they offer certain advantages over other treatments, such as:
- Stain-resistance: Veneers are highly stain resistant and can retain their bright luster for years. Whereas patients who opt for teeth whitening treatment must undergo occasional touch-ups to keep their smiles gleaming.
- Durability: Porcelain veneers are considerably stronger than the composite resin used into dental bonding.
- Versatility: While other procedures can effectively treat a specific cosmetic flaw, veneers can address a wide range of issues in a single procedure. When combined with other procedures such as gum contouring for gummy smiles, you can enjoy the benefits of a comprehensive smile make over.
- No downtime: Once your veneers are placed, you won’t need to take any time off from work to recover. Dr. Carlson works diligently to ensure the procedure itself is quite comfortable and patients are able to return to work and other regular activities right away.
- Lifelike results: Much like the natural enamel of your existing teeth, ceramic porcelain has translucent qualities, allowing light to reflect off in a completely life-like way. This semi-translucence, combined with porcelain’s ability to be color-matched to your adjacent or ideal tooth color, ensure your veneers blend seamlessly and beautifully with your natural smile.
How are veneers put on? The process may vary slightly from patient to patient, but essentially, it is a multi-step process that takes place over a period of a few weeks.
Step One – Free Initial Consultation
Your journey toward a perfect smile begins with a free consultation with Dr. Carlson. During this one-on-one meeting, Dr. Carlson will work to understand your goals and expectations. He will conduct a thorough evaluation of your oral condition and carefully explain the entire veneers process and how veneers work.
In some cases, this first meeting also serves as a records appointment, in which X-rays are taken and photographs capture images of your mouth from several angles. Dr. Carlson uses these tools to create your temporaries and final veneers.
Step Two – Preparation and Temporaries
Once your initial consultation and records appointment are complete, you will return to 5 Star Dental Group so that Dr. Carlson can prepare your teeth for the procedure and put on your temporary veneers.
Step Three – Evaluation and Modification of Temporary Veneers
Before your final veneers are personally hand-crafted by Dr. Carlson, you will first be fitted with a set of temporary veneers to wear for a week or so. This gives you the opportunity to experience firsthand what your new smile will look and feel like. While many patients love their temporaries just the way they are, Dr. Carlson can make any necessary adjustments to ensure your veneers are perfect for you.
Once you are satisfied with your temporary veneers, Dr. Carlson will begin working on your final porcelain veneers. Having been dissatisfied with the standard quality from ceramic labs, Dr. Carlson has chosen to make all his veneers himself at 5 Star Dental Group. Unlike a lab, your veneers aren’t treated as just another ticket item. As Dr. Carlson’s patient, you will receive the highest caliber of results. He knows your story and your goals. He will accept nothing but the best for you and your smile.
Step Four – Placement of Porcelain Veneers
From the moment he gets your approval to move forward, it takes Dr. Carlson about three weeks to complete your permanent veneers. At your final appointment, your temporaries will be removed and your final porcelain veneers will be placed. There is no recovery time. You will walk out of our office with a stunning smile that will last you years to come.
Because of their ability to conceal the appearance of slightly crooked teeth, veneers are often referred to as “instant orthodontics”. It is worth noting that it is not always ideal to rely on veneers for teeth that are substantially misaligned. In more severe cases, traditional orthodontic treatment may be the best solution. The only way to know for sure if porcelain veneers are appropriate for your situation is to meet with Dr. Carlson personally, in a free consultation.
Veneers represent an investment in your smile, self-image and confidence, so naturally, many patients wonder, “are veneers permanent?” In order to properly place your veneers, Dr. Carlson must remove a layer of your tooth enamel, making this a permanent procedure that cannot be reversed. However, the amount of time you can expect your porcelain veneers to last, much like natural teeth, highly depends on how well you care for them. With proper dental hygiene habits and biannual visits with Dr. Carlson, you can expect your porcelain veneers to last for years, even decades to come. Dr. Carlson takes great pride in the quality, durability and longevity of his porcelain veneers.
Some actions you can take to help your veneers last for 20 years or more include:
- Brush after every meal with a soft-bristled brush.
- Floss twice a day, every day.
- Avoid habits such as nail-biting, ice-chewing, opening packages with teeth and other activities that subject your veneers to excessive force.
- Although veneers are highly stain-resistant, the dental adhesive that secures them in place is still susceptible to discoloration. Avoid stain-causing substances like coffee, wine, berries and tobacco smoke.
- Visit regularly with Dr. Carlson to ensure that any minor dental issue can be identified early, before becoming a serious problem.
If you are displeased with the appearance of your smile, you may likely be a good candidate for dental veneers. Generally, in order to have veneers placed on your teeth, you should:
- Be in good overall health
- Be free of gum disease and infection
- Not habitually grind your teeth or clench your jaw
- Be committed to maintaining your results through proper oral care and hygiene
- Have a sufficient amount of healthy enamel on your teeth
- Have specific goals and realistic expectations for your results
In order to be an ideal candidate for veneers, it’s important to have healthy teeth and gums. If you suffer from gum disease, tooth decay or infection, Dr. Carlson may need to treat your condition before beginning the veneers process. All of these considerations will be discussed during your free initial consultation.
It’s also important to keep in mind that the veneers procedure is usually a permanent one. Since it is necessary to remove a layer of enamel before bonding the porcelain shells, you will need to either replace your veneers or choose an alternative restoration in the event that repair or replacement is necessary.
The knowledge, experience and skill of your cosmetic dentist play important roles in the quality of your results.
- Passion for excellence: Years ago, Dr. Carlson began to personally craft all of his porcelain veneers and porcelain crowns because he simply wasn’t satisfied by the quality being produced by the most trusted labs. Every crown and veneer is created with personal care and unmatched precision.
- Advanced techniques: As part of Dr. Craig’s commitment to excellence, he consistently receives continued education and advanced training in the field of cosmetic dentistry. Much of his advanced training comes from the Las Vegas Institute of Advanced Training (LVI), one of the most respected post-graduate cosmetic dentistry institutions in the nation.
- World-class results: Word of Dr. Carlson’s exceptional results and friendly, compassionate care has traveled well beyond his patient-base in San Antonio. Patients have traveled from across the globe specifically to get porcelain veneers from Dr. Carlson, including patients from Puerto Rico, Japan, Nigeria and Mexico.
- Chair-side manner: Although many patients seek out Dr. Carlson for the outstanding quality of his results, they stay patients for life and recommend him to their friends and family because of his kind, caring and friendly nature. In addition to quality, fun is a core value at 5 Star Dental Group. Patients are more than a mouthful of teeth, they are our friends and neighbors, treated just like family. From the moment you enter our office, you will be greeted warmly by our friendly staff and the sweet smell of freshly baked cookies, prepared daily in our office to help you feel comfortable and at home.
5 Star Dental Group is a place like no other. We encourage you to not take our word for, but see for yourself by reading our patient reviews.
The cost of veneers depends on a number of factors and varies from patient to patient. While the cost of veneers is typically higher than that of other cosmetic procedures, nearly all of our patients consider them a worthwhile and life-changing investment. Thanks to the versatility of veneers, they can offer patients the benefits of tooth whitening, dental crowns and orthodontic treatment in one comprehensive procedure.
The best way to get a clear idea of what veneers will cost for your treatment is to meet personally with Dr. Carlson. During your free initial consultation, Dr. Carlson will take the time to understand what you dislike about your smile and what you hope to achieve with veneers for your teeth. He will conduct a thorough evaluation of your current oral condition and help you determine if veneers are your best dental solution. He will also give you a cost estimate for the work you will require to meet your goals.
At 5 Star Dental Group, we believe that everyone deserves a healthy beautiful smile and money should never stand in the way of your aesthetic goals and health needs. Our caring staff is always happy to discuss all of our financing and payment options to ensure you can comfortably afford your beautiful new smile.
If you are ready to get the smile you’ve always wanted, contact 5 Star Dental Group today online or at 210-494-3511 to schedule a free consultation with experienced cosmetic dentist Dr. Craig Carlson. We help our friends and neighbors throughout San Antonio get the beautiful, healthy smiles they’ve always wanted.